Next week end Easter will be celebrated all over Russia!
WAb-leaks team tells you more about the Russian traditions and how it is celebrated here! Wanna have our top secret recipe for Kulich! Check it out at the end of this post!
In Russia Easter is celebrated on a Sunday, but usually not the same week as in Europe because the Orthodox Church uses the Julian calendar and not the Gregorian one. Upon this day, religious people will greet each other by saying “Christ is resurrected ” (Христос воскрес), to which should be answered “Truly He is” (воистину воскрес)
The traditional eastern menu will include eggs, the Easter cake called Kulitch and a sweet cottage cheese dessert with dried fruits named Paskha. Some religious people will even bring it to church to have it blessed..
An old tradition consists in decorating eggs, and you will find whatever you need to do the same in all the shops during the time! Initially eggs where painted in red as a reminder of the blood but they can be painted any color. Russian people will give family and friends painted eggs when the gather to celebrated. Then everybody gathers to hit the eggs against one another. The one whose egg did not crack will have luck and success for the whole coming year!
And as promised, here goes our recipe for Russian Kulitch (Кулич)
175 gr. butter
100 ml. milk
450 gr. flour
3 table spoon of baking powder
6 table spoon of sugar
130 g. grapes
Icing sugar for the decoration
1. Let the dried grapes soak in water
2. Heat the milk and turn off the cooking plates before you add 3 tablespoons of sugar and the baking powder. Wait until the preparation starts to swell.
3. Add all the other ingredients (except the icing sugar)
4. Grease the form in which you will cook with butter. The form you choose should be bulky because the volume of the dough will increase.
5. Put the dough inside it and let it rise in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
6. Heat the oven at 180 degres and bake your Kulich for 15 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 150 degrees and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the mold and decorate it!
You can now taste a little bit of Russia !